The FitNow Blog
Ensuring Success with Your New Year Resolutions
New Year resolutions can be both empowering and energizing this time of year. A new year is coming and with that, a new you. Fitter, healthier, stronger, more connected. You 2.0.
But when January arrives, noble plans crash into the hard reality of resolution execution. Work is back in full swing, your vacation is over. What gives? Unfortunately, the resolutions often do…
So how can you enhance the chance of success this year? Here are five ideas to consider.
1. Start small. Make goals that you can realistically achieve and then build upon them. For example, if your goal is to exercise more but haven’t been to the gym in years, don’t plan to go seven days a week. Start with a goal of perhaps 2-3 days a week and go from there.
2. Change one thing at a time. While there may be many things you want to improve upon, choosing too many will dilute your efforts, especially when you have a lot of living already on your plate. Instead, consider a single element to focus on.
3. Talk about it. While many of us prefer to charge ahead alone with resolutions, studies have consistently shown that support networks greatly increase success rates when it comes to significant lifestyle changes.
4. Give yourself a break. Changing habits is hard and slipups occur with even the most carefully laid plans. Don’t be so hard on yourself that you get discouraged or even worse, throw in the towel. Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint.
5. Get professional help. Sometimes a professional can really make a difference, whether it be a doctor, counselor, or coach. Remember that they’ve likely helped many others just like you before. Wouldn’t you like someone that knows all the tricks of the trade in your corner?
Lastly, if nutrition and fitness are part of your New Year resolutions, check out our bios then talk with us! We’ve been around the block and are excited to put our training and experience to work helping you achieve your goals.