The FitNow Blog
Happy Liver, Happy Life: 7 Toxin-Busting Foods
Modern humans fight the good fight against diverse toxins every day. Biological and chemical pollutants swarm our digestive tract, our respiratory system, and our skin. What’s keeping us from succumbing to this onslaught? Our liver, the 2nd largest organ in the human body (after the skin), turns foreign substances (including the unfriendly ones) into friendly ones. The liver, unfortunately, can become overworked or suffer from stress and these leads to diverse health issues.
The good news is that scientists have identified many foods that can protect and heal this vital organ. We’ve listed seven below to incorporate into your diet.
- This plant contains many sulfur-containing compounds, which activate liver detoxification enzymes.
- This popular breakfast fruit contains vitamin C, anti-oxidants, and naringenin. This last compound causes the liver to burn fat rather than store it.
- Green tea. This beverage is full of catechins, which eliminate fat accumulation in the liver.
- Green vegetables. Arugula, spinach, mustard greens, and other green vegetables contain purifying chemicals that neutralize heavy metals that strain the liver.
- It’s not just for guacamole! Avocados are rich in glutathione, which protects the liver from toxic overload
- These nuts contain significant levels of l-arginine, glutathione, and omega-3 fatty acids, which neutralize the ammonia in the liver.
- This spice, derived from a plant in the ginger family, protects the liver from toxins and also regenerates liver cells.
For more information about how science can be harnessed to improve your health, contact FitNow today!